We love bicycling as a lifestyle, culture, and sport. We love to ride, build, restore, oggle and sometimes race bicycles. We also love to talk on at great length about our ideas, opinions and exploits involving all of the above. Welcome to our BLOG!

Abandon Your Car is not a slogan or ideology so much as a reminder to all of us to get away from our petro-mobiles as often as we possibly can and embark on life as an adventure by bicycle.

We'll keep you current on the important road and trail beta from our home base in Palisade, Colorado and shower you with our .02 cents about the ongoings of bicycle tribes the world over.

Be sure to tune in for Danny, AKA: the Young Apprenctice, providing the ever important perspectives of a college-bound bike geek and all around brainiac in his NORCAL Updates.

We're glad you're here- look around, drop the Bike Master a line and then get out and ride for awhile- you'll be glad you did!





go to our most recent posting here.





Tuesday, August 31, 2010

NorCal Update, August 31, 2010

Well, it's been awhile since I've posted an update, so here we go. I've been busy with the start of school and all that jazz, so unfortunately a bit of a damper has been put on my amount of riding as well.

Anyway, moving on. My last post left our readers with the image of a sweet -- albeit, a very used -- Mercian frame from the '70s. In my original post, I mentioned the date being debated and after an unsuccessful contact session with the company, I almost gave up. That is, of course, until I stripped the bike for its oxalic acid bath (thanks for stickin' with me on that one, Mom!) in the backyard. It wasn't until I took the frameset out of the bath, neutralized it, and waxed it that I found a number on the fork. 6 31675. Since that number was revealed after the bath, I decided to take a look back at the BB shell... oh look... there are the faint imprints of the same exact digits.

This serial number tells me two things: 1) The bike was made in 1975 and 2) I should have taken that bet from the owner of my LBS.

Here she is in her current glory. Another thing revealed by the bath was that the bike was definitely white when shipped from the factory, but years of outside living caused the clearcoat to yellow and flake. Also, I'm trying to figure out how to work with these housing stops and my sidepull brakes. That's a doozy:


Here's the rest of the brakeset awaiting some Cinelli bars and some concave washers (all on their way to me as I type):
I'm also awaiting other vintage Campy acquisitions (FD, RD, Shifters, and Headset) which I traded some other parts for.

Next on the chopping block is a very important acquisition, which was too cheap and too necessary to pass up. I bring you... the Trico Iron Sports shipping case! The ad definitely specified "Guaranteed to prevent UPS from putting another dent into your beautiful SOMA Smoothie" so I jumped on the deal at a mere $30:


And last but not least, there are two definite indicators that Fall is arriving. The first of those indicators is the first of my two annual colds (it always happens twice a year...I don't get it), and the second is this family of turkeys that always seem to come around the neighborhood at this time of the year:


That's all for now, AYC patrons! Stay tuned for more updates, and most importantly, get on your flippin' bike and take in this awesome Fall weather!

No comments:

Post a Comment