We love bicycling as a lifestyle, culture, and sport. We love to ride, build, restore, oggle and sometimes race bicycles. We also love to talk on at great length about our ideas, opinions and exploits involving all of the above. Welcome to our BLOG!

Abandon Your Car is not a slogan or ideology so much as a reminder to all of us to get away from our petro-mobiles as often as we possibly can and embark on life as an adventure by bicycle.

We'll keep you current on the important road and trail beta from our home base in Palisade, Colorado and shower you with our .02 cents about the ongoings of bicycle tribes the world over.

Be sure to tune in for Danny, AKA: the Young Apprenctice, providing the ever important perspectives of a college-bound bike geek and all around brainiac in his NORCAL Updates.

We're glad you're here- look around, drop the Bike Master a line and then get out and ride for awhile- you'll be glad you did!





go to our most recent posting here.





Sunday, March 21, 2010

NorCal Ride Report, Sunday March 21

Let me start off by saying that today was a beautiful day for a bike ride, and the amount of cyclists out on the trail reflected that.

For those of you who don't know, I'm Danny -- the young apprentice. I worked for Dave over the summer, and Aunt Jen is well... my aunt.

I live essentially a block away from a gateway into a local hotspot for mountain bike riders called Lake Chabot. It has a half paved and half unpaved trail all around the lake for a total loop of around 12 miles. It's a lot like going around the reservoir near Oak Creek in terms of length.

I started out on my ride around 10:30 after a filling breakfast. It was a bit overcast, but by the time I was over the biggest climb and on the lake trail, it was clear skies. I'm happy to report that throughout the ride, there was no getting off the bike. My ride totaled around 8 miles due to some exploration of the trails branching off of the main walk way, and a mistake on the part of my slacker navigation skills. I ended up riding past a golf course in order to get to a trail that I'd ridden when Jen and Dave were here during Thanksgiving. I made the mistake of second-guessing myself, so I turned around and pedaled a mile back to the main trail, where I then met a fork in the road. I took the "path less traveled" and ended up linking with the downhill of the trail that I'd been looking for. It was a pretty awesome climb at a far more gradual gradient than the trail I'd been searching out, and once at the top, I met up with some other riders going in the same direction. Total ride time: 1.5hours

It was a solid ride, even if the trails were pretty mucky under the tree-cover. On the way back, I took my only fall on a rutted section of single track downhill that I've been riding for awhile. We have trail managers out here too, but apparently not as bright as the *a local trail building organization* crew is. Someone trimmed a branch so it was under leaves, but so that there was still about a foot of it sticking straight up out of the ground. I hit a rut at a good pace, fell over and was essentially impaled. However, it's not that bad and now it's time for some feet up time and a good lunch. I hope today's ride was as good over in Fruita as it was over here. Until next time, keep the rubber side down!

3 comments:

  1. Nice job Danny- thanks for the ride report. Time spent on the bike, on the trail will make all the difference when we do Kokopelli- the hard parts will still be hard (that's the point) but you will be prepared mentally and physicaly for the challenge if you feel comfortable on the bike in unpredictable circumstances. Keep up the good work and try to find some new trails to broaden your scope! jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. good to hear that you are out riding, Danny. don't worry about getting lost, just bring some exta toast slices from breakfast for the ol "trail of breadcrumbs" trick for the areas of uncertainty. you will always find your way back.
    i also like (and approve of) your epic "lawn boogie" shortcut across the golf course while in search of the ever-more elusive "NorCal singletrak experience".
    were ya wearing your Velosport colors at the time, by any chance? always be sure to represent your sponsors proudly at every available opportunity.
    the sharpened and half-buried punji sticks are most likely the work of your garden-variety moss-bearded, tree hugging, bike hating, slug-loving urban vegan wacko dude. avoid them at all costs, they are known to be very unpredictable when the feel that their forest is under attack from lucra-clad and mechanized eco-terrorists.
    i am pleased that your wounds were merely superficial, Grasshoppah. equally fortunate that you did not puncture an $80 dollar racing tire as well.

    and by the way, Danny; the whole reason behind forcing you to ride the tanker is to make you stronger and get you more confident on the trail. you won't get the same bike handling skills from riding your roadbike, and the required level of focus is much different.
    you will find these things to be of great help to you out in the desert a couple of months from now. trust me on that one.

    : - )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am also guilty of the "lawn boogie" across the same course. Nice stuff Danny. Thanks for helping me call on my memories of a place I rode my BMX bike when I was strong enough to tackle it. I must also add that was many years ago as a youngin'. I basically beat myself to death going up just to do the go fast thing going down. I broke a chain up there once, got jacked up pretty bad on a downhill spot, a nice blood to a dirt dust and roll. I looked kind of like a breaded chicken tender with some hot sauce on it. Good times.

    ReplyDelete